We have shortlisted Microsoft Dynamics AX for our ERP solution, but we are not sure of Microsoft Dynamics AX Infrastructure.
Things to consider for Microsoft Dynamics AX Infrastructure
With the updated versions of Microsoft Dynamics AX, the application platform is growing rapidly into the market for global wide enterprises, and as a consequence the requirements for the Microsoft Dynamics AX infrastructure is growing in complexity and size.
The Microsoft Dynamics AX platform is no longer an application that can be installed onto a single server or a few servers in network/AD.
There are a number of dependent applications (Database,SSRS,SSAS,MR,EP,RFSmart)and services that must be considered when scaling, planning and building a reliable, secure and supportable Dynamics AX infrastructure.
In a core Dynamics AX installation you must consider and plan for:
- Microsoft Dynamics AX Object Server (AOS)
- Database Server (SQL DB)
- Reporting Services for standard and customize reporting needs (SSRS)
- Transactions Per hour/Minutes
- Online Users
- Analysis Services for business intelligence needs (SSAS and Cubes)
- Web server for the Enterprise Portal (EP)
- Web server for the Application Integration Framework (AIF)
- Help server
- Search crawler
- Backup and restore strategies
- Custom Integrations
- Retail Transactions
- .NET Interop
- .NET Business Connector
- Web services hosted on IIS
- Synchronization service for Microsoft Project Server
- Synchronization proxy for Microsoft Project Server
- VSS Server
- TFS Server
Additionally, many companies are rarely capable of utilizing Dynamics AX without custom modifications or third party vendor modules so plan accordingly for development/TEST/UAT/PROD Environment/Instances.
- Development servers
- TEST Servers
- User Acceptance Test servers (UAT)
- Source control (TFS, Team Foundation Server)
- Build and
- Deployment servers